Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)
ECSE TTAC staff members are part of a statewide system that supports professionals providing special education services to children, birth through five, in a variety of settings. Staff members collaborate with community partners including early childhood interventionists and agencies, schools, and community-based preschools. They provide and coordinate professional development and technical assistance to facilitate the knowledge and use of effective, evidence-based practices in early childhood special education and early childhood settings. TTAC support addresses practices that foster the inclusion of young students with disabilities in environments with their non-disabled peers, emphasizing assessment, quality practices, and early learning standards, including early literacy, mathematics, and other curricula.
Virginia Department of Education:
- Division for Early Childhood, DEC (Council for Exceptional Children)
- Early Childhood Education Leaders Communities of Learning (CoL) for Inclusive Programs
- Early Childhood Mental Health Virginia (Birth to Eight)
- Indicator 7, Early Childhood Outcomes: Online Training to Complete the Child Outcomes Summary Process
- IPOP (Inclusive Placement Opportunities for Preschoolers) Manual ***Updated 2019***
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Office of Head Start: Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center (ECLKC) (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Administration for Children & Families)
- Teachstone CLASS® (Classroom Assessment Scoring System) - Free Resources
- Virginia Cross-Sector Professional Development
- Virginia Guidelines for Early Childhood Inclusion April 2018 (Virginia Department of Education, VDOE)
- Virginia Early Intervention Professional Development Center (VEIPD)
- Virginia Preschool Initiative Plus (VPI +)
If there are concerns about a child’s development, contact the local Child Find office in your area.
- Go to Local Special Education Contacts or Local Disability Services and click on your county/city name and then click on Child Find to locate your local contact information.
Amber Gant, MS
Assistant Director, Early Childhood Special Education Specialist