The VDOE TTAC at GMU (Region 4) recognizes that families play a vital role in the academic progress and success of students with disabilities. The TTAC supports them through information dissemination and links to other resources and organizations that work with families. In addition, the TTAC partners with family organizations to help them meet the needs of families and students.
TTAC GMU Resources that can be accessed by parents and families:
- TTAC Monthly News Brief: Ready, Set, Go, provides information and resources via email focusing on educational issues related to students with disabilities.
- Lending resources of the Kellar Library, where TTAC houses books, videos, and other materials specifically related to students and individuals with disabilities.
VDOE Website Resources:
- Virginia Family Special Education Connection provides a one-stop-shop for parents, families and caregivers of children with special needs to:
- Find Local Disability Services (for all Counties/Cities in Virginia)
- Locate Local Special Education Contacts (for all Counties/Cities in Virginia)
- Explore an abundance of resources, including assistive technology and behavioral supports to help your child succeed
- Learn about and plan your child's educational program
- Understand your legal rights and responsibilities
- Locate Events: State, National and Online
- POWER (Parent Organizer With Educational Resources) Web App- Online resources to answer frequently asked questions that parents/families have
- Raising and Working with Children and Youth in Foster Care or Living with Kin: Your Guide to Resources in Virginia Web App – Where to go? Who Can Help? Questions to Ask
- TTAC Online is a web-based community linking people and resources to help children and youth with disabilities. TTAC Online is available to teachers, parents and professionals.
- Special Education Resources for Parents
- A Parent’s Guide to Special Education
Organizations in Virginia for Parents and Families:
- Center for Family Involvement
- Parent Resource Centers
- Partnership for People with Disabilities
For more information on resources for families, please contact Nancy Anderson or Clare Talbert.
Clare Talbert, M.Ed.,
Nancy Anderson, M.Ed.,
I'm Determined and Family Engagement Coordinator