The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Office of Specialized Education Facilities and Family Engagement and the TTAC at GMU (Region 4) recognizes, encourages, and supports families and schools working together to facilitate inclusive practices for our youth with disabilities in their schools and communities. GMU TTAC supports families by participating in the VDOE Center for Family Involvement’s Family Engagement Network (FEN), by providing regional events (e.g., I’m Determined trainings) and by managing the following regional and state online resources:
TTAC GMU Resources that can be accessed by parents and families include:
- TTAC Monthly News Brief: Ready, Set, Go »
- Lending resources of the Kellar Library, where TTAC houses books, videos, and other materials specifically related to students and individuals with disabilities.
VDOE Website Resources that are available for parents and families and can be shared with families by school division personnel:
- Virginia Family Special Education Connection (Website) provides a one-stop-shop for parents, families and caregivers of children with special needs to:
- Find Local Disability Services (for all Counties/Cities in Virginia)
- Locate Local Special Education Contacts (for all Counties/Cities in Virginia)
- POWER (Parent Organizer With Educational Resources) Web App- Online resources to answer frequently asked questions that parents/families have
- Explore an abundance of resources, including assistive technology and behavioral supports to help your child succeed
- Raising and Working with Children and Youth in Foster Care or Living with Kin: Your Guide to Resources in Virginia Web App – Where to go? Who Can Help? Questions to Ask
- Center for Family Involvement works with families to increase their skills as advocates, mentors and leaders so that families, children and young adults with disabilities can lead the lives they want.
- Special Education Resources for Parents (VDOE)
- TTAC Online is a web-based community linking people and resources to help children and youth with disabilities. TTAC Online is available to teachers, parents and professionals.
Region 4 Contact
Clare Talbert, M.Ed.
Tracy Lee, Family Engagement Specialist, Office of Specialized Education Facilities and Family Engagement
Hank Millward, Director, Office of Specialized Education Facilities and Family Engagement